Improving lead conversion by tailoring campaigns to customer segments

This project centered around being able to more accurate measure our inbound leads. Our site conversions were decent, but our conversion from lead --> customer was terrible and the sales team wasn't sure why. Something was causing potential customers to drop out of the sales funnel extremely quickly in our process.

I organized several calls with our sales team to get their feedback and assumptions about why leads were dropping out of our funnel. I mapped out their process for qualifying leads and looked at the automations we had in place with emails and auto-responders.

As a simple test, I designed a new contact form that would separate leads into different groups (interested, unsure, and ready for quote). We tracked answers in our internal dashboard, and I added custom events in Google Analytics to keep track of answers and delve into more nitty-gritty details.


The result? In just a few days I had enough data to conclusively say that nearly 40% of our inbound leads weren't even sure if they wanted to elope.

Our contact forms weren't capturing enough information to provide a tailored sales response. Every automated response email assumed that the lead was ready to elope. As such, the content of our emails was confusing and off-putting for many otherwise interested customers. This was resulting in lost leads because we were delivering the wrong message, to the wrong people, at the wrong time.

We were able to decrease our drop-offs by sending the "I'd like a quote" group directly to a quote form, rather than filling out a generic contact form and relying on a follow-up email. This improved time-to-conversion for a set of motivated, highly engaged customers.

We created a new email drip campaign for the "elopement curious", focusing on the benefits of elopement and answering common questions or concerns. Storing the answers in our database and Hubspot allowed us to begin experimenting with additional tailored email workflows moving forward.